Table of Contents
- 1 Why is it so important to clean teeth with braces correctly?
- 2 What do I need for toothbrushing with braces?
- 3 How to clean teeth with braces step-by-step
Orthodontics is a correction method that improves the appearance of the smile and the functionality of the teeth when they are in an inadequate position. However, it is a treatment that requires constant revision by a professional and good maintenance by the patient.
Brushing teeth with braces is similar and at the same time different to brushing teeth without braces. As teeth that do not belong to the patient's mouth are inside the oral cavity, it is more common for food debris to stick to them, increasing the risk of plaque formation.
Do you know how to brush your teeth properly with braces? Let's take it step by step.
Why is it so important to clean teeth with braces correctly?
Oral hygiene is very important for maintaining the health of the mouth. Through brushing and the use of different accessories, it is possible to prevent and treat different diseases that start in the mouth and can affect general health.
When a dental patient undergoes orthodontic treatment for teeth alignment, the need to prevent oral infections is even greater. It should not be forgotten that during the treatment time, the mouth is more exposed to alterations and damage that could lead to periodontal diseases.
In order to achieve the best results in the placement of the teeth, the patient should follow the orthodontist's instructions Indications to keep their mouth healthy and protected.
Brushing your teeth with braces doesn't take much time or extra effort. It is only necessary to follow a new oral cleaning routine, adapted to the particular needs of each person.
What do I need for a toothbrushing with braces?
For the oral hygiene of a person with orthodontics, there are specific accessories that make this task easier. From special toothbrushes and dental floss to toothpaste and mouthwashes, they ensure complete cleanliness even in the most hidden spaces.
KIN toothpastes for orthodontics
The OrthoKIN line includes special toothpastes for the care of teeth during orthodontic treatment. Formulated with fluoride to promote remineralisation of tooth enamel, they also contain cetylpyridinium chloride or clohexidine and zinc to prevent infection, as well as provitamin B5 and vitamin E to strengthen the gums and mucosa.
KIN Mouthwashes for Orthodontics
In combination with the toothpaste, there are two varieties of Mouthwash from the OrthoKIN line with similar characteristics. The ideal complement to finish removing dental plaque, with Fresh Mint or Strawberry minted flavour , depending on the desired characteristics.
KIN descaling solution
The use of certain orthodontic appliances can lead to the accumulation of bacterial plaque that is difficult to remove by brushing or flossing. For this purpose, the KIN Orthonet descaling solution helps to dislodge adhering dirt, both on the teeth themselves and on the removable appliances.
In addition to these orthodontic-specific products, KIN has special accessories for brushing teeth with brackets, such as its KIN Orthodontics Toothbrush. It completes the oral cleaning with KIN Dental Tape minted and prevents the brackets from rubbing against the mucous membrane of the mouth thanks to the KIN Orthodontic Wax.
How to clean teeth with braces step by step
Now that we have all the products and accessories for brushing teeth with braces, let's start with a step-by-step description of the process:
- Prepare for brushing by removing the moving parts of the appliance.
- Start by cleaning the brackets, brushing around the wires and attachments at a 45-degree angle.
- Once you have finished with the brackets, it is time to clean the teeth one by one. Press gently in a circular motion, focusing on the gum line without pressing too hard.
- Repeat the procedure on both the outer side of the teeth and the inner side. Don't forget to rinse the chewing surface of the molars thoroughly.
- Floss at least once a day, preferably at night before going to bed. Floss each of the interdental spaces, following your dentist's instructions Indications .
- Rinse your teeth thoroughly using mouthwash, and check in the mirror to make sure there is no debris on your teeth or brackets.
Recommendations for brushing teeth with brackets
Regardless of the type of orthodontics, there are a number of recommendations from dental professionals for oral health care during treatment:
- Follow a thorough cleansing routine after every meal.
- You can use either a manual toothbrush specifically for orthodontics or an electric toothbrush with a small, round brush head that makes it easier to reach the most hidden areas of the mouth.
- Choose a brush with medium hard bristles to avoid damaging the gums.
- In addition to teeth and brackets, it also cleans the gums, cheeks, tongue and palate.
- Clean your toothbrush after brushing your teeth.
- Replace the toothbrush or electric toothbrush head every three months.
- Go to the dental check-ups according to the date indicated by the professional in order to follow up the treatment correctly.
If you have any questions about how to brush your teeth with braces, it is best to ask your orthodontist directly.
If you notice any symptoms of inflammation, bleeding gums, excessive plaque build-up, or a dental appliance becoming loose, make an appointment with your dental professional as soon as possible to ensure the health of your mouth and achieve better results.