There are two types of whitening toothpastes on the market depending on their mechanism of action.
On the one hand, there are whitening toothpastes that contain cleaning and polishing agents, such as hydrated silica, sodium bicarbonate, calcium pyrophosphate or zirconium silicate. Due to their composition, these pastes are really effective in removing stains caused by pigments that have not penetrated into the tooth, (for example, staining caused by some foods or drinks).
On the other hand, we find whitening pastes or products whose main ingredient is peroxides, powerful oxidants, and very effective in whitening teeth. In this case the peroxides produce a change in the colour of the tooth, to make it whiter. However, this effect is only obtained when the peroxide is found in certain concentrations. These products are only available at dental clinics and are applied or recommended under the direct supervision of a dentist. This is because it is necessary to protect the gums, soft tissues, tongue, cheeks and lips during treatment.
We Laboratorios KIN have two brands for teeth whitening:
- FKD Bleaching: it is a paste composed of sodium bicarbonate (15%), sodium fluoride (1000 ppm F-) and sodium pyrophosphate (3.3%); which gives it a triple action: eliminate extrinsic stains, prevent caries and prevent the formation of tartar.
- WhiteKIN: is an enzymatic dental whitening system formed by a paste+gel system with carbamide peroxide, lactoperoxidase and fluoride, which acts directly on the modification of the colour of the tooth. It can also be accompanied by the WhiteKIN rinse containing fluoride (1450 ppm), cetylpyridinium chloride (CPC), polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP) and provitamin B5.
- Aesthetic treatment for the mouth - Access at: http://www.msn.com/pt-br/saude/saudebucal/beleza-na-boca-odontologia-est%C3%A9tica-cresce-em-todo-o-mundo/ar-BBp8vR4 OESP - Datos sobre estética y salud (Data on aesthetics and health): http://www.uai.com.br/app/noticia/saude/2016/04/04/noticias-saude,190392/
- Silva, Joanna Paula Freire de Lima, et al. Evaluation of the effectiveness of whitening toothpastes with the use of special toothbrushes. DOI (Evaluation of the effectiveness of toothpastes with associated use or without special dental cleaning): " Journal of the Faculty of Dentistry of Lins 21.2 (2012) - (Journal of the Faculty of Dentistry of Lins): 31-39.
- Natalia Melo et al. Vital whitening and methods for the assessment of its efficacy and stability, CES Dental Journal, Vol. 19, No. 2, 2006, pp. 53-605) Goldstein, R E. Change your smile, 4a. (Mude o seu sorriso) Ed. Quintessence E.d. (2010) 234p
- Folha de Sao Paulo / Data Anvisa and Pro - test. Access at: http://www.medplan.com.br/noticias/pesquisa-com-sete-cremes-dentais-clareadores-concluiu-que-cinco-nao-tem-eficacia,10158