There are two types of whitening toothpastes available on the market, each with different mechanisms of action.
Firstly, there are whitening toothpastes that contain cleaning and polishing agents such as hydrated silica, sodium bicarbonate, calcium pyrophosphate and zirconium silicate. Due to their composition, these toothpastes are really effective at removing stains caused by pigments that have not penetrated the tooth, such as the staining caused by certain food and drinks.
Secondly, there are whitening toothpastes or products which the main ingredients are peroxides, powerful oxidisers that are highly effective at tooth whitening. In this case , the peroxides change the colour of the tooth, making it whiter. However, this effect is only obtained when the peroxide is in certain concentrations. These products are only available in dental clinics and they are applied or recommended under the direct supervision of a dentist. This is because it is necessary to protect the gums, soft tissue, tongue, cheeks and lips during the treatment.
At Laboratorios KIN we have two brands for tooth whitening:
- FKD Blanqueador (or KIN Whitening internationally) toothpaste: this toothpaste is composed of sodium bicarbonate (15%), sodium fluoride (1,000 ppm) and sodium pyrophosphate (3.3%); giving it a triple action: it removes extrinsic stains, prevents tooth decay and prevents the formation of tartar.
- WhiteKIN: this is an enzymatic tooth whitening system in a paste+gel duo-airless container that contains carbamide peroxide, lactoperoxidase and fluoride (1,000 ppm), which acts directly on the tooth staining. This can also be used in conjunction with the WhiteKIN mouthwash, which contains fluoride (1,450 ppm), cetylpyridinium chloride (CPC), polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP) and provitamin B5.
- Cosmetic treatments for the mouth (Tratamento estéticos para a Boca) – view it at: http://www.msn.com/pt-br/saude/saudebucal/beleza-na-boca-odontologia-est%C3%A9tica-cresce-em-todo-o-mundo/ar-BBp8vR4 OESP – Data on cosmetics and health (Dados sobre estética e saúde):
- Silva, Joanna Paula Freire de Lima, et al. Assessment of the effectiveness of whitening toothpastes with the use of special toothbrushes. DOI (Avaliação da eficácia de cremes dentais clareadores com uso associado ou não de escova dental
especial-DOI): “Journal of the Lins Dental Faculty 21.2 (2012) – (Revista da Faculdade de Odontologia de Lins): 31-39.
- Natalia Melo et al. Vital whitening and methods to assess effectiveness and stability, CES Dentistry Journal (Blanqueamiento vital y métodos para la valoración de su eficacia y estabilidad, Revista CES Odontología), Vol. 19, No. 2, 2006, pages 53-605.) Goldstein, R E. Change your smile, 4a. (Mude o seu sorriso) Ed. Quintessence E.d. (2010) 234p
- Folha de Sao Paulo / Data from Anvisa and Pro – Test. View it at: http://www.medplan.com.br/noticias/pesquisa-com-sete-cremes-dentais-clareadores-concluiu-que-cinco-nao-tem-eficacia,10158